Skip to main content
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Important Note: Beginning November 2017, iCIMS is requiring candidates who wish to access iCIMS associated career portals to use browsers with TLS 1.2 (or higher) encryption enabled. To test your access and learn more about this requirement, see Understanding the TLS 1.2 Requirement.
iCIMS is a third-party service provider that supplies software to companies for their use in the recruitment process. iCIMS is not involved in making any of the hiring decisions for the company you have applied to in using our software. As a result, there are specific requests we are unable to assist with, including the following:
- We cannot provide you your username or password for security reasons. Our system only allows for a password reset link being sent to your email address, which you must request yourself.
- We cannot update/change/delete any information contained within your profile; this may only be done on your own or by the company that you have applied to (if they choose to do so on your behalf).
- We cannot resend links or emails previously sent to you by a member of the recruiting team of the company where you have applied.
- We cannot share with you your status or progress in any job for which you have applied.
For assistance with any of the above items, please contact the company you have applied to.
The following frequently asked questions are covered within this resource. Click a linked question below to jump to that question and its answer.
Creating a Profile and Applying to Jobs
Updating and Submitting Your Information
Searching for a Job
Managing Job Notifications and Communications
I forgot my password. Can I retrieve or reset it? Move to top
Yes, if you forgot your password, you can easily reset it. Just click Log back in! at the top right corner of any page on the career site. You'll be directed to the Login page, where you'll see a link for Forgot your password?. Click that link, enter your email address, and then check your email for directions to reset your password.
Do I need to log in to search for and review jobs? Move to top
No, you don't typically need to log in to review jobs on a career site (although certain organizations may require it). A login is always required when applying for jobs on a career site.
Can I apply for a job as a guest without logging in? Move to top
Unfortunately, no. You must have your own online profile in the system to complete a job application. When logged in to your profile, you can apply to multiple jobs listed on the organization's career site.
I might already have an online profile. How would I know? Move to top
On many organizations' career sites, if you already have an online profile, you'll find out upon starting your job application:
- If you DO have a profile, the system will confirm this once you enter your email address. Depending on the setup of the career site, you'll either be directed to the Login page—meaning you have a profile to log in to—or you'll be alerted via error message that your email is already attached to a profile. (The system does not allow multiple profiles with the same email address.)
- If you DO NOT have a profile, you'll immediately be directed to build a new profile after entering your email address.
Additionally, you can always contact the organization directly to ask if you have a profile or not.
- Note: Your online profile can only be associated with one email address. If you're unsure if you have an online profile and regularly use more than one email, you may wish to enter multiple addresses on the career site to see if any are attached to an existing profile. Please do not create additional profiles for yourself with different email addresses.
If you're a new applicant, you can create an online profile by clicking Apply for this job online on any listed job and following the steps presented to you.
- Note: Some organizations will allow you to create a profile without applying to a specific job. Please go here for more information.
After clicking the Apply button, why am I asked to enter my email address?Move to top
If you're not logged in, you may be taken to an Enter Your Email page after clicking Apply for this job online. By inputting your email address, the system will identify whether you're a new applicant or a returning applicant with an existing profile. It will then direct you to the logical next step in your application.
When creating a profile, how should I submit my resume or personal information? Move to top
You can submit your information in a few different ways:
- By logging in through a social account (Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, or Microsoft), which allows the career site to pull information from your social profile, such as name, email address, profile URL, etc.
- By uploading your resume (through your computer or through a cloud storage site like Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive), which allows the career site to parse your resume and fill in appropriate fields.
- By filling out the online form, which allows you to enter your information into each field manually.
These options will be presented to you on the Basic Information page of your application. The information you choose to include will become part of your online profile in the system.
- Note: The options available to you may vary depending on how the organization's career site is set up.
How do I access my profile if I created it through a social account? Move to top
To access your profile, log in to the career site of the organization you are applying to. After clicking Log back in! at the top right corner, you'll see login buttons for the four social sites (Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Microsoft). Click the appropriate button and enter your social login credentials. This will log you in to your online profile on the career site.
- Note: In certain circumstances, you'll also be able to access your social login after clicking the Apply for this job online button on a job.
How can I check my status for a job I've applied to? Move to top
You can check your status by logging in to your profile and reviewing your candidate dashboard. The dashboard will display all positions you've applied to, along with the status of each one.
If you have any questions about your job status, you can always contact the organization you have applied to.
I didn't finish my application. How can I complete it? Move to top
You can do this through the candidate dashboard in your online profile. In the Actions column, you'll see a Continue Application button next to all jobs in which you have an incomplete application. Clicking this button allows you to continue your application from where you left off.
- Also in the Actions column, you may see a Withdraw button next to jobs for which you have a completed application. You can click this button to remove your name from consideration for the job.
- Depending on how the career site is set up, the Actions column and buttons within that column may be labeled differently or may not be available at all.
How can I update the information in my online profile (including my resume)? Move to top
You can update your information by logging in to your existing profile and clicking the Update your profile button. This will bring up your profile page, where you can make updates to your personal information and/or resume. When finished, simply click Update Profile at the bottom.
Are there any formatting best practices for resumes to be parsed successfully? Move to top
For successful parsing of your resume, it is recommended that you put your name and contact information within the body of your resume (rather than within the header or footer of the document). Additionally, it is not recommended to put important text within tables, text boxes/shapes, images, or annotations.
Can I submit my resume for general consideration, rather than applying to a specific job? Move to top
Some organizations allow candidates to submit their resume for general consideration without applying to a specific position. This places your resume into the organization's recruiting system.
If the organization allows this, you will see a Connect with us or Submit your resume link on its career site, typically on the Welcome page. (If neither link is available, you must apply for a specific open position and follow the normal application steps.)
How can I search for a job on the career site? Move to top
There are various ways to search for a job on the career site:
- Keyword search: Typically, a keyword search will search for all words you enter. For example, a keyword search for "graphic designer" will return results where the job contains both "graphic" AND "designer." Depending on how the career site is set up, you may be able to select between All Keywords and Any Keyword to change this behavior.
- A keyword search is used primarily for searching the title and description of a job. If you are looking for jobs via location, for example, it is recommended that you use the Location filter (discussed below) instead of keyword searching for a particular city/state.
- Keyword search does not accept Boolean search terms at this time.
Advanced search: Additional filters may be available to allow you to narrow down your search even further. If available, you can use any or all of these filters:
- Posted Date
- Position Type
If you choose to use more than one filter, your results will meet all of the criteria selected.
I'm ready to apply for a job, but the job I want is not currently available. Can I be notified whenever jobs are posted that match what I'm looking for? Move to top
Yes, you can set up email alerts to receive an email whenever a new job is posted that matches the title, location, and/or keywords you're interested in. After searching for a job on the career site, you'll see a section underneath the job listings called Email Alert Options. Here, you can name and save your specific search criteria as an email alert. You'll then start receiving emails that alert you whenever a new job matching your criteria is posted.
Depending on the organization's preferences, some alerts may expire after a period of time. (You will be notified by email before your alert expires.) If you wish to continue receiving emails for an expiring alert, you'll need to renew it. You can do this by logging in to your profile and clicking Manage your job search email alerts. Select the checkbox for all expiring alerts and click Renew.
- Note: If you'd like to disable any email alerts, you can select the checkbox for any alert you wish to stop and click Delete.
I'm interested in receiving general job updates and other notifications from the organization. How can I do this? Move to top
On many career sites, you can sign up for email updates based on your general areas of interest. (Even if you already have specific job alerts set up, you may also wish to connect with the organization to receive general emails, which include event notifications.) If the organization allows you to submit your resume for general consideration, its career site should have a section on the Welcome page labeled Connect with us (or something similar). By clicking the Connect with us link, entering your email address, and then selecting your interests, you can set up these general company emails.
- Note: The content and frequency of these general emails will depend on the organization.
Is there anything I can do to prevent an organization's emails from going to my spam/junk folder? Move to top
Many email providers have increasingly stringent spam filters that can trap legitimate emails. This often includes emails sent automatically, such as job application confirmations or company newsletters; it can also include emails sent to you personally, such as interview invitations.
If you notice that emails from organizations you have connected with or applied to are going to your spam folder, you may need to adjust your spam filters.
The terminology and steps to take these actions will depend on your email provider, but the idea is generally the same—you need to find the email in your spam folder and indicate that either the message or its sender is not spam.
- Tip: Each organization uses a company-specific email address to send out emails and notifications. If you've applied to multiple organizations that use iCIMS software, you may need to whitelist (or add to your approved sender list) the email address used for each organization. If you're unsure what that email address is, you can reach out to your point of contact at the organization.
Here are a few links to help you prevent and manage spam from some of the most common email providers:
iCIMS is committed to providing the best experience and the highest levels of security possible for all users of its recruitment software. In order to ensure all personal data is secure, iCIMS is requiring all candidates who wish to search for and apply to jobs on iCIMS-hosted career portals to use browsers with TLS 1.2 (or higher) encryption enabled beginning November 2017.
Recent versions of modern browsers like Edge, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari, as well as Internet Explorer 11, already support TLS 1.2 encryption by default. If you are using one of these browsers, this change is unlikely to affect you.
If you are unsure what browser you are using or if it has TLS 1.2 encryption enabled, visit the following website to test your access: https://tls-portals.icims.com/
If you are using an older browser or the above test indicated your browser does not have TLS 1.2 enabled, it is recommended you update to the most recent version of the browser before November 2017 to avoid interruptions to your access to the career site.
If you are using Internet Explorer 10, update to Internet Explorer 11 or follow the steps below to enable TLS 1.2:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Expand the Tools menu by selecting the gear icon in the top right of the browser. Then, select Internet Options. The Internet Options window will display.
- On the Internet Options window, click the Advanced tab.
- Scroll through the settings listed on the Advanced tab and locate the Security section. Select Use TLS 1.2.
- Click OK to finalize your changes.